Today is an Edgar Allen Poe Day – very “dark and dreary” … perfect for huddling under the blankets and watching some B-movies! If you’re so inclined, here’s my top ten recommendations of B-movies for the Halloween Season:
10. I’m starting out with on of my favorites Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. A few of my favorite parts – the giant paper mache hand, and the fact that this woman’s husband would fit in perfectly on Mad Men! Maybe one day Betty will follow a “satellite” and get irradiated and grow to 50 feet and take her revenge on Don! But that’s a post for another day . . .
9. Nine is for Plan 9 from Outer Space of course! Ed Wood and a Bela Lugosi look alike that looks nothing like him – need I say more!?
8. Forbidden Planet. “Monsters Jack, monsters from the id!”
7. I’m a sucker for a giant insect and being saved by the National Guard – The Deadly Mantis!
6. I was a Teenage Frankenstein or a Teenage Werewolf – oh those crazy kids!
5. Steve Mc Queen, people! Steve (and a cast of exciting young people) and The Blob!
4. Feeling under appreciated by your spouse – watch I Married a Monster From Outer Space and you’ll see how lucky you are!
3. “Help me! Help me!” It’s THE FLY! Best part of this movie? The freaking lab in the basement! Just like I’ve always wanted . . .
2. Fiend Without A Face. Oh how I love this movie . . . so bad it’s good! SCIENCE GONE MAD!
1. My all time favorite B-movie – THE MOLE PEOPLE – what’s not to love? Hugh Beaumont (Beaver Cleaver’s Dad) Babylonians living in the center of the earth, archaeologists, the fire of ISHTAR – it’s a nerd paradise!
Happy B-movie watching everyone!